IEC i.e. Import-Export Code is one of the prerequisites. It is issued by DGFT (Director General of Foreign Trade). IEC is a 10-digit number which has a validity of lifetime i.e. there is no need to renew it. It can be issued either in your name or your company’s name. No person/entity can make any import/export without IEC.
When IEC is required:
Importer: For the shipments and related transactions with customs, to send the money across nation to have Import Code is mandatory.
Exporter: For the shipments and related transactions delivery and packaging of good to be exported, to receive money from outside the India in foreign currency IEC is mandatory to be submitted in Bank
Benefits under IEC:
- Online Procedure: Registration process of IEC is online process and there is no need of any physical documentation, simplified procedure.
- Validity: Import-Export Certificate has lifetime validity and renewal is not required. Import-Export Code has no expiry date.
- Import-Export license has nation wide acceptance.
- Import-Export license is Pan based license thus an individual can apply for it, it not mandatory to have business or registered business/firm.
- After the Import-Export Registration, No Returns are filed, there are no tax compliances